He Was So Beautiful I Couldn't Look At Him


Day 38 National Park 2011

I woke up at 5am.  I didn’t get much rest.  My eyes were blood shot red.  My pad and sleeping bag are both damp and wet.  I felt a depression wrap the bottom left of my heart.  I prayed asked for a healing.  My hips hurt and burned all night last night.

The rainfly was very drenched.  I folded the tent and the foot print to keep the inside from getting wet. 

I stopped at Forks to shop at True Value Grocery store and had fresh baked La Brae sourdough bread.  It was hot and crispy, totally yummy.  I don’t know how I lost 90 minutes in the store.  It’s funny how everything in Forks is called Twilight this, Twilight that; Twilight firewood.  It’s quite funny. 

The sky was overcast with rain today.  I really like this weather.  Everything is beautiful here.  The road side is covered in rainforest trees and wild flowers.  My ankle hurt the whole drive over to this campground.  I found myself dizzy and exhausted after just 75 miles of driving today.     

At the Hol Rain Forest Entrance I saw a male buck elk with velvety antler this morning.   It was a beautiful adult elk.  I pulled into the pay kiosk and a ranger walked up to me, a beautiful, solid, stately young man.  He took my word that I had an annual pass and signaled me to move on.  I saw he was very concerned over the safety of the elk and humans.  This ranger was so beautiful, full of good character, integrity, and proper righteousness that I was afraid of looking into his eyes or at his face.  He and I actually conversed as spirits in the True Value parking lot.  He expressed how he would be overwhelmed by my generosity and lacked understanding of it,  he didn’t need, he didn’t want.  He is a “if we all took care of ourselves then no one else needs to extend and reach out because we are all capable self reliant and self sustainable” kind of a person.     

The Hol River water level looked low at the Hol Campground.  I picked Loop C and #75.  It took me three runs around the loop to decide on a spot.  I got a bit disoriented going round and round.  I did see a charcoal black rabbit this morning, it had giant hind legs that were light brown.    

There is one restroom per loop.  The restroom is rusty, old, has flush toilet, light, and outlet access.  No wash sink access here, it is locked.  People are using the potable water station for drinking water and wash.  The backpacker’s loop is full tonight.  The C Loop was almost full at 1pm with two sites left. 

So I pitched my very wet tent in the open meadow without anywhere to hang a tarp canopy.  The ground was muddy from the rain.  Getting the stakes to stay was a challenge in the mud.  I had to get over the fact that everything is muddy and damp outside and inside the tent.  Even my hammer rusted overnight last night.  I managed to set up camp right before the downpour. 

The visitor center parking lot was full too.  I spoke with two rangers, one of which was Mark Coon who went to Fremont High School and was the class of 1957.  Both backpacker rangers whom I spoke with had strong clear eyes.  Their spirits were beautiful.  They highly recommend I backpack to blue glaciers that it is the only hiking trail around here.  I felt uplifted after this at 1pm, my energy totally changed with strength of hikers and backpackers.  I then sat in the car and looked out the windshield to stay dry and view the campground while I ate lunch.  It really had the best view out of the entire campground in my opinion.  I so needed a nap.  I decided to recite and meditate sitting in the car and I ended up falling asleep for three and half hours.  I don’t know where I went or what happened.       

My tent was covered in mud splatter.  I decided I would not cook in the rain.  I was too lazy to put up a tarp canopy somewhere to set up shelter for cooking.  I don’t mind the rain, standing in it or walking in it or sitting in it.  It just feels so god to sit and not do anything in the rain.  I saw a lot of CA license plates here, it means I am getting closer to California.  A spot of blue sky opened up for 15 minutes and the closed up for the day. 

I finally got around to morning ceremony at 5:30pm.  The sky thundered and roared at 5:36pm.  With all this downpour, I sang my heart out in the car.  I am the only one sitting in my car, everyone else had a canopy for their sites. 

On my way to the tent tonight, I saw a black tail young deer grazing next to my tent.  I see why I chose that muddy open spot for my tent.  The beautiful animals come by, deer, elk, bunnies and others.  I didn’t look forward to getting into damp sleeping bag, it’s pretty damp, I’m getting damp from being in it. 

Miles Driven: 75 miles

Hours on the road: 1 hour 15 minutes