Told Me 7mph and Wrote 12mph Over

Day 28 National Park 2011

I got up at 5:30am and was done with packing at 5:47am.  I am getting better at this.  I parted with Rex and Timber who was doing his insulin shot at 6:44am.  The pie shop was not yet open when I passed by.  I made an extra forty mile detour because I missed the connection from Paradise to St. Regis because there was only a sign for i90 going south and I didn’t check the town that it connected to.  When I made a u-turn, my gut got all tight and angry for not having perfected that, missing the connecting turn.  I yelled at the anger and shut it.  It was a scenic drive, a very scenic detour.  I wouldn’t mind camping in that area.  A turtle decided to sunbathe on the highway off the river, it was very dangerous spot to choose to sunbathe. 

I was tired of driving.  My right ankle hurt on the second hour of driving.  I was sleepy at the crossing of states again.  At west i20 I got a $158 speeding ticket in the section of 60mph change to 35mph change residential area that was a tiny small town of 10 shops.  I didn’t step on my breaks to break from 60 mph to 30 mph.  I was experimenting on how long it would take for my car to naturally slow down to 30mph.  The cop was parked right there at the change waiting to ticket.  I think that is all that he does all day long, there isn’t much going on here in this tiny town of ten buildings.  I was at 40mph when the 30mph sign rolled around.  I didn’t bother to talk when the cop pulled me over.  He said the speed limit was 35 mph and I was at 42 mph and I was over by 7 mph.  He said I should slow down and not accelerate.  I didn’t.  I didn’t step on my breaks so there was no break light for him to see.  I didn’t argue.  He wrote me a ticket for speeding over 12mph the limit.  I didn’t see this until he left.  I did a u-turn to chase him to locate him over this but I didn’t find him.  I don’t think he will rewrite my ticket.  I was too exhausted to be upset over this.  

I got gas at Coulee where everyone seems to be.  I had no idea that Forth of July weekend means cars and RV show off.  As I drove I kept asking myself, “Am I there yet?”  It’s been a super long day.


After pulling over at a cherry stand, I finally made it to Newphalem Campground.  I decided to skip the creek.  The campground is $12 per night.  I chose B54.  There is one restroom per loop.  The restroom is made of cedar.  The cedar oil smells wonderful.  I can live in this restroom. 


The tent is squished in a spot because the other parts are on a path and my other choices were all wet with puddles.  The chi flows well here. 

I was dizzy when I got out of the car.  My head spun as I stood in the restroom.  I couldn’t stand without feeling I’d fall, pass out and not get up anymore.  I don’t know how pilots, flight attendant, astronauts, and truckers do it. 

Everyone was asleep at 10pm, the place was super quiet.  I was the only one moving about at 11pm.  I saw an ant that was 1 inch long. Are they still ants when they are that big?  It is so cold tonight I can see my own breath, but it is warm in my tent. 


Miles Driven: 632 miles
Hours on the road: 14 hours and 45 minutes
Grocery Expense: $46