On a Car Ferry For the First Time

Day 44 National Park 2011

I got up at 6am and packed everything in 30 minutes.  I rolled off at 7am.  I felt ready to move onto my next adventure.    As I drove the sky was grey and I knew yesterday’s sunshine was a gift.  I stopped at Walmart in Port Angels and spent $33 on pasta, sauce, bread, salad, potato and chips.  I took one last look at Mt. Olympus and the Hurricane Ridge, ah….beautiful.  Honestly, I find it a scenic obstruction with all these concrete buildings, street lights, etc….. 

I followed an RV to Port Townsend, I figured it was going to the port where I wanted to go and this was a good feeling I followed.  I didn’t know where the ferry port was and this RV led me to it.  The ferry was $11.70 for 33 minutes to Courville.  I loaded my car onto the ferry for the first time, I was very excited.  Reservations had first boarding and the rest of us are on standby.  I parked in the reservations lane, I didn’t have reservations.  On the ferry, it was a rough and bumpy ride.  People got out of their car and went up to the deck.  I sat in my car, ate fresh hot rustic bread from Walmart bakery, crispy on the outside and fluffy hot on the inside.  When I stepped out of the car to put food back in the trunk I felt dizzy, ocean sickness and I knew why I had to stay in the car and not move around the ferry like everyone else. 

I drove to Anacar Port, it took me an hour after passing through lots of farms.  I stopped at a cherry stand and bought two bags for $11, delicious cherries.  It was the right size and sweet in flavor, I waited all summer for this.  Living in the Bay Area I am spoiled with access to best produce and fruits.  In traveling, that is what I miss the most. 

 I crossed the street to a café to use the restroom and to pay for a cup of hot water to make tea.  The restroom was clean and the staff gave me a cup of hot water for free.  I was feeling sick like an onset of a cold and the hot Darjeerling tea really hit the spot. 



The San Juan Island is $53 per car, a flat rate.  In terms of time and directions it really didn’t make sense to travel up this way.  I even thought of turning around at the toll booth.  I followed what I saw and I got in line for the ferry, ate cherries, and drank the tea.  I loaded onto the second deck of the ferry.  I saw chromates on the nest by the window harbor.  I slept the entire one hour ride to the island.  I was so tired, I had been driving nonstop for six hours, and I was feeling ill. 

I got off at Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, it was a sunny and beautiful day.  The port looks like any touristy port.  I first went to the west part of the island where the locals said the best view of the Olympus mountains and Canadian islands were.  I had no idea where I was going, I didn’t have map, just followed the feeling of adventure.  It worked out well.  I mean it’s a small island, just don’t drive off the cliff, stay on the road.  I drove to the coast looked at the cliffs, passing farms, state park, and made a u-turn into the San Juan County park.  I needed to use the restroom.

I walked to the edge and looked out at the other islands and Canada.  The campsites were all full here.  Filled with extended families who reserved and brought their giant BBQ double grill set, actual couches facing the ocean to whale watch.  I hear this is the spot. 

I met a high school councilor from Santa Barbara who takes this trip every year and stays at this campground.  She said she was at the school for seven years and was laid off this year due to budget cut and then rehired or reinstated.  I helped her set up her tent in the wind at the walk in site.  She needed a hammer too.  This was a great place to camp on the island in terms of the whale watching. 





I decided to not camp at this part of the island.  I decided to leave the island.  The feeling of the entire island is nice, “You can rest your weary soul and body here, you will be safe and it’s alright.” “Thank You for the offer.” I responded.

Towards the end of my journey on this island, I had to pull over to the side of the road and contemplate the subject of sensitive, turbulent relationships that arose with affliction.  I thought about ideals and  projections people place on each other and expectations from things neither party agreed to or sign up for or is even aware of.  It’s all based on assumptions that somehow our own internal world of workings is the only one and that the rest of the world is to follow our own rhythm and command, like the flow of gravity.  With such demands of, “Well, why wouldn’t they?  Why shouldn’t they?  How dare they don’t?”      

I thought about what a monastery is for, it’s a place to plant blessings and connect positive affinities. I thought about what to follow, it’s the sound of wisdom and compassion, and not any one person.  With such conclusions, my island tour came to a completion.

I parked my car in line for the 6:30pm ferry at Friday Harbor.  I went for a quick stroll around the port and did window peeking.  Everything is overpriced.  I ended up at a café and had their vegetarian cauliflower fennel soup for $5.  It was hearty yummy.  I tasted cauliflower, fennel, sweet potato, a touch of tumeric, cumin, carrots, celery, peas.  I set the leeks aside and the chef said leeks are suppose to clear fungus and so is garlic.  I told her it give me bad gas and she was less offended by my lack of willingness of eating it.




The ferry loaded up at 6:16pm and rolled off at 6:25pm five minutes ahead of schedule and docked at 7:32pm.  I was parked next to the roars of rumbling hot generator.  A nap for an hour on the ferry was just what I needed. 





I drove to i5 and listened to the radio.  It rained and I made it back to Seattle at 9:30pm.  The buildings were all in slate grey and dim, set against the tungsten blue sky with layers of various rain clouds in different density accenting the sky that reflected the ocean and city lights.  Wow, what an amazing beautiful scene.  I could just park and watch the city change colors.  The image was so vivid.  All hands on wheel on this wet road conditions and I didn’t try to photograph this while I drove trough Seattle complex curved highways of many changes.     

Trying to connect to i410 was complex, I got lost over and over in Kent, Auburn, and Enumclaw.    I stopped at Auburn to get gas and to find a clean restroom.  The Albertson’s toilets lock at 10pm.  I had to keep driving and then stop at Enumclaw to use the Safeway to get produce at 11:30pm and use the restroom.  I contemplated sleeping in the parking lot.  I was somehow not tired so I kept on driving for the next three and half hours until 3:15am.  Although I was tired at 1:45am I kept on driving.  Yes that was dangerous considering how tired I was and the road condition was foggy.

In the White River area, I saw lots of women, ghosts wondering about for the past century.  They looked desolate.  Some of them were mix native.  They looked confused.  They lived in confusing times back then. 

Even in the dark, I can feel the beauty of Mt. Rainier National Park.  No visible moon tonight.  I saw three deer at three different times.  I had to drive in dense fog for 2 hours in the park.  I had only twenty feet visibility.  The good thing is there was no other traffic, I was the only car on the road.  It was a very dangerous driving condition.  I drove super slow.  I was pretty determined to get to Cougar Campground but I didn’t find it with three different attempts.  I finally pulled over at the Paradise Inn and rested sitting up in the car to wait out for day light. 

Super cold here, all snow, the grounds are all wet from snow melt.  I am amazed how I am alive and that my car is okay and that no animals were hurt.  I was hoping to see cougars and bobcats at night.  They might have seen me and dashed away.  In this fog, I can’t make out what is what and where is what.  I felt dizzy and my body felt like it just got off a ship, swinging, spinning, and still moving. 

Miles Driven: 456 Miles
Hours on the Road: 16 Hours