Don't Want to Swim in the River

Day 35 National Park 2011

I dread using the vault toilet here.  I finally rolled off bed at 6:25am.  I drove and parked across site #10 at site #9 to wait for the camper to move out.  Site #11 had already left and the ranger came by 7am, and the camp host came by at the following times:  8am, and 10:35am doing their rounds.  I sat in the car for two hours and read up on trail and mapped out the rest of my trip into Oregon while I waited for my site to vacate.  Time is flying by fast, not too many days left, I have more things I want to do than I had time for.  I also did meditation in the car.  Finally at 10:15am I was able to roll my car into site #11 and by then lots of people were up and about.  It was noon when I finished setting up camp.  I felt so tired, I was not hungry, I just needed to sleep.  My body was aching.  I woke up at 3:17pm. 

I love being off the river bank.  At 5:22pm the winds picked up and the temperature was cool.  I decided to can hikes and just do art at this camp site looking at the river.  At 7pm I began drawing.  It was fun.  I feel that I can just stay here for a month and just draw and paint.  This leg injury is forcing me to sit, not stand or walk.  I can’t even drive much, but I do and then I pay, I am forced to sleep for days after.  After the sun set, the wind off the glacial river was very cold.  I put on 3 layers of jackets to keep warm. 

I met three ladies from Illinois, they are all in college on a 12 day trip.  They are funny, nice, educated, and friendly.  They have a good sisterhood thing going, very lovely to see. 

9pm, there is still sun light, it is lovely to be at the river bank.  The flow of the water is great and so is the sound.  Just watching the colors of the river change throughout the day is fun.  The water in the river is so clear and beautiful, I don’t even want to get my dirty body in it to pollute it.  I can’t swim in this amazing water, and the water is too dangerous, currents are just too fast.