Cedar Restroom, I Could Live In It

Day 29 National Park 2011

I got up at 5:30am, a hawk was loud all morning.  I continued to sleep and then I woke up again at 9am.  I felt so thirsty, I felt so dehydrated, I got up to drink honey water.  I went back to bed.  It was noon when I finally started my day.  It was 2pm when I got around to setting up the hammock. 



People have left and gone home since the holiday weekend was over.  There were just three occupied campsites including me in this loop and two at the other loop.  I love it when it is quiet like this. 

I walked the nature trail to the visitor center.  It was beautiful and peaceful.  I realized my head was congested and full because I couldn’t take in the pristine beauty.  The campground itself is beautiful, covered in floral beds.  I think I need more rest.

The visitor center had a nice view of the mountain ridges.  I really didn’t hear anything I wanted to do for hikes here that isn’t covered in high snow.  Maybe I will just chill here and enjoy the refreshing cedar infused air. 


My neighbors are from Chicago.  It’s a mother daughter duo along with a dog.  Ani teaches math in a college in Chicago.  They had an RV that towed a car, two kayaks, two bikes, with solar panels.  I thought about how my speeding ticket could be better used on a kayak purchase.  Ani’s mom is a substitute teacher and loves office work.  She was afraid of the 70% black and 30% Hispanic demographic.  That the drug trafficking is really bad in her area.    

Ani’s mom wondered how I was able to stay warm last night.  I don’t know.  I was super tired and I woke up warm and sweaty.  It was only in the 30’s last night here in the valley in the midst of trees, the wind becomes a breeze.  I have been camping in the 20’s with wind chill making it colder than this. 

I am just digging the raw honey from bitter chestnut from Italy.  It is better by itself.  When it is mixed with hibiscus or something else the fragrance it is also wonderful.  At noon the temperature here was 85 degrees, summer warm. 

The sunset, the warm sun, and the cool breeze from the river felt good on my back as I sat at the picnic table.  This feels like summer here, the heat, the warm breeze, and the leaves.  The mosquitoes are out by 7:20pm and they are quite aggressive.  So I took cover in my tent.  The other choice was to sit in my car and my car smells like wet dirty laundry.  I fell asleep right away and work up to sounds of fireworks at 10:44pm.  I fell asleep right away and woke up again at 12am.