Our Husbands Are Waiting For Us


I woke up middle of the night from a dream and didn't go back to bed. I listened to the dogs bark and the announcements from the train station. The workers below shouted and the sounds echoed through the hotel.

We walked to the train station and got onto the right train. On the train a boy and his mother sat in front of us. He was very well behaved and cute. And then when the father came they switched seats and went to another cart.

Another boy then sat in front of us and when his father arrived they moved to another cart too.


Then a medical student sat in front of us. He was studying to be a doctor. He was kind to inform us of many things about being in India and specifically told Linda she was being too friendly for any Indian man and this could bring her trouble. That it would be safest if she could change how she uses her eye, mouth, and arms.

We landed in Jalandhar city train station to change trains for Ahmedabad. It was a 4 hour layover. We waited in the refreshment room. I sat and drew while Linda called her family in Australia. A man approached us and said he was the police chief. He spent the rest of the time talking to us about love and how all life is is about love. No love then no life, this was his motto. He told us he was married that in his mind he knows not to want another wife but his heart does not reason. He wanted to invite us to his home. I think both Linda and I were ready to jump but there was no where to run to. So at this point Linda told him her husband was waiting for us in Gujurat. I went along with it and commented on how I missed my husband very much and he too was waiting for me in Gujurat. The so called police chief finally went away after that. A sigh of relief came over both of us.