Hanging On For Dear Life


After the changing of guards ceremony I searched for Linda and Kristina. I didn't find them and decided to stand and wait for the crowd to disperse. When I finally spotted them, they were surrounded by a group of young men and that was the reason I didn't see them the first few times I searched for them. All these young men were jiggling and consumed in both the ladies. They wanted photos taken but they didn't have cameras. They insisted to be photographed by Linda and Kristina's camera.

It was quite interesting to watch the boys’ reaction to these two western girls. Their physical interaction were way more intimate than if the girls were Indian. They looked as if they took lines and movements out of old western movies and acted it all out. For a brief moment, these boys left India while they joked and freely had fun.

We somehow ended up on the back of a rickshaw facing the back. We weren’t really sitting on any seats. We hung on to a bar for our dear life. The dusty sun was setting in front of us and in between were they boys in another vehicle hanging on the sides as they waved and smiled at us, the flirting continued. Both Kristina and Linda commented that any western girl with low self esteem should come and experience this, it should cure it all. It was fun to watch and it was very cold too on the back of a rickshaw. It was so cold I couldn’t feel my fingers griping the bar. We went through lots of pot holes, my bums hurt a whole lot.

We all had dinner by the train station as we sent Kristina off to the train for a mediation retreat. Even though I ate very little for dinner, I was still feeling very terribly sick. I was experiencing indigestion. Linda and I went to the internet afterwards. When we were done, I wanted to hurl. I just went back to the hotel and laid down. I felt so sick. I think I was too cold in the morning on the bus and too cold on the back of the rickshaw. I prayed for a healing and then my hand heated up like a hot pad and I felt much better.