"We Were Expecting You to Arrive Last Year!"


Barely slept on the plane. I was on Thai Air to Taipei via Bangkok. I like this airline. Pretty tired from all the ride. I was happy to hear Jay Cho on the radio station on the plane.

After exiting the plane right before customs there was an ATM machine and I tried to withdrawal money and I couldn't. I think I totally ran out of money. So, it was time to be in Taiwan. Glad I'm in Taiwan. I have 100 yuan on me and I hoped this was enough to take a bus to somewhere.

So happy to be in Taiwan. Feels like home. I love Taiwan. I boarded a Grey Hound Bus at the airport to go into the city of Taipei. It only took half an hour and 50 yuan. I smiled the whole way on the bus because the bus driver was speaking in distinct Taiwanese Mandarin and he was having fun with delivering an announcement persona over the airwaves.

I was still in my Sarawa when a local woman asked me if I was from mainland China. I was so dusty and grungy and well, not in fashion. I have been traveling nonstop from Pondicherry for the past 24 hours via Thailand to finally arrive in Taipei. I burst out laughing from the humor of it all or I was just extremely tired, and hungry and happy. It was like I was inhaling helium or something. I think this is one of the symptoms when people fast. Now I know why people fast in seclusion.

I somehow decided to get off Xing Tian Gong to go on bus #226 to get off at the elementary school and walk to my relative's house. But I got off on the wrong side of the elementary school and got disoriented and walked far and away from my destination. I was lost. I had no option but to call my cousin Chen Chen to pick my up. I borrowed the cell phone of a vendor to do so. People are really nice and friendly here.

It was so nice to see Chen Chen. I've missed him. He is 24 years old this year and is done with college and is waiting to enlist in the military. It's a mandatory civil service for all men here. He picked me up in his 150cc scooter. I love riding on the scooter with the wind in my hair.

Chen Chen asked me what I wanted to do. The first thing I wanted to do was to take a hot shower. I did. I took two. Then I did all my laundry in the washing machine. 3rd Aunty came over and took me out to lunch. It was 3pm when I was done with laundry and shower. We went to a local food stall called Miao Yin, a noodle shop. I love these mom and pop shops that serves like 10 things and is tiny and a hole in the wall kind of place but has the best food. I love noodles. But most of all in Taiwan at noodle shops, I love the side dishes. Usually there is a special in-house chilli sauce and pickled vegetables at each table. Then there is always fresh veggie greens and a big pot of stewed tofu, gluten etc.. goodies in soy sauce and spices. It's a distinct Taiwanese flavor. I also love fresh young ginger sliced to go with any dish along with fresh cilantro. I sure have missed of of this. I was stuffed at $2.

Did I mention that none of my relatives knew I was coming. I didn't have time to tell them I was coming since I bought my ticket and then got on the plane. So it was a big surprise to them all. Actually according to my relatives, they have been waiting for me to show up since November of last year. Oops! It was really my mom's wish that I end my trip and show up then. But I kept on going. It's like the old days when there was no mail, phone, or vehicle and the only means of transportation was on foot. "Oh we were expecting you to arrive last year and wondered when exactly you'd arrive, so you've finally arrived?" or something like that.

I went over to 3rd Aunty's place and met her new 3 month old Palmamerian puppy. Reminds me of my dog Yoyo. I miss Yoyo he was the best dog anyone could have, ever. I think everyone thinks their dog's the best dog. Kind of like brand new parents with their infant babies and just can't stop talking about how cute the baby poop is and insists it doesn't stink at all.

I then visited my 4th uncle and his family and they poured me tea and served it with dried fruit cured with sugar and other flavorings. I like it. It's quite traditional flavor.

Then I made it back up to 4th floor where I am based out of and my 4th uncle in law was waiting for me. He's as sweet as ever. He poured me Gao Shan Cha, High Mountain Tea. He has the best high mountain tea here. I'm in tea heaven.

The family made a bed for me to sleep on. I would have been satisfied with the wooden floor. I think Chen Chen gave up his bed for me to sleep on. That was sweet of him. His brother Chan Chan is all grown up too. The last time I saw him he was still cuddle-able. Now, I think his girlfriend would probably mind, too bad.

For midnight snack I went out for Fried Stinky tofu topped with kimchi and drenched with light soy sauce at a local push cart vending stall. The traditional kimichi with Fried Stinky Tofu is often served with pickled cabbage with chilli. I'm so used to it that I don't smell the stink everyone complains about.