Shuddham


I stepped into the the Shuddham building to meet up with Yoomi and Mark. They poured me a cup of French Stawberry tea while we chatted in their studio. I checked out the bandages on their body and Yoomi's limp as she walked. I learned of their car accident in Bangalore a month ago. They were there for their friend's wedding. They were on a scooter when a bus hit them from the back and Yoomi's foot got stuck in the bus's bumper and the scooter too got stuck underneath the bus along with Mark's leg. So the bus dragged Yoomi, Mark and their scooter while all the passengers on the screamed at the bus driver to stop the bus. When the bus finally stopped the driver switched out of the driver seat and the official bus driver jumped into the seat. Mark lost flesh not just skin. He was heavily medicated and not mobile. He has to go into the hospital to change bandages daily to keep the open flesh from infections. The daily challenge is having to make it to and from the hospital. The rest of the time he is in bed battling the pain. Yoomi can now finally walk with a limp. Well, I am so glad they are alive what a brush with death.

Mark and Yoomi are both very beautiful people. They live part of the year out of San Francisco and the rest of the time in Pondicherry. When they are here they volunteer here at Shuddham and is also involved in restoration project of historical French architectural buildings in the area. Yoomi introduced me to a literacy project at an office nearby with BookBox and asked me if I was interested in translation projects in trade for possible housing options. BookBox is working in increasing literacy in India through internet storytelling for children. Here is info on Shuddham an NPO with environment as their focus and empowering women. http://shuddham.wordpress.com/

Yoomi took me to her friend Surag's travel agency and helped me sort out flights to Taiwan. I have to return tomorrow because it was already closing time and so I have make another trip tomorrow.

Then Yoomi took me to Suguru's for Dosai and other South Indian dishes. They were all very delicious. I wonder if I should stay here longer just to eat. Hum.... tempting and dangerous. But must solve the whole housing problem first.

I walked along the beach at night to find my way back to the hotel. It was crowded, lots of people are out walking on this beautiful night with warm summer breeze. I pretty much did people watch all along the beach as I walked.

In the room there are large images of Sri Arvind and Ama on the wall. Honestly it really requires adjustment on my end to have their images in the room where I change clothes and sleep. It just doesn't feel respectful on my end to have them in the room.