Bumpy Bum Ride




We went onto the city fortress wall during sunset. We rented bikes for an hour and half and rode our bikes all the way around. It cost us 20 yuan each. In celebration for the holiday, red lanterns were hung and lit at night. It felt very festive like Chinese New Year celebration. These ancient city walls encircle the town. I think they should have made regulations like Berkeley where buildings within the city wall cannot exceed wall height. This way the views would not have been blocked. I hopped onto a bike that was out of alignment. With the road being bumpy, I had a bumpy bum ride.

Afterwards we went to Drum Tower Islamic Street where it is famous for its eateries, lots of lamb and intestinal parts served everywhere. I had the famous pickled spicy vegetable stir-fry rice. It was pretty good. It had spices I was unfamiliar with from the Silk Route of North West China. I don’t think I can make it at home, we just don’t have access to the same spices.Back at the hostel I took a shower and the shower head was liken to the ones at home. I showered in gratitude, I was so happy to get a decent line of shower water pouring onto me and it was hot. I spent 25 yuan to have access to the laundry and the dryer. The washer lady helped me with my laundry. She complained of working long hours and not have traveled anywhere her whole life. I reminded her that all working class are the same anywhere. The young man at the bar gets 4+ hours of sleep each night. He clocks out at 12am and he clocks in by 7am. He rides his bike to and from work and it is almost a two hour round trip ride.


I am developing a better attitude towards public service officers. I have found in my stay in China, that they are most trustworthy people to offer help and any assistance especially directions.