Engineers Everywhere Alike, Burnt Out

While on the trail I met a man named Chen from Taipei who is an burnt out young engineer. He is taking 2-3 months off from the professional work world to recharge his batteries. He said in his job there is no night and day or life beyond it. There is just the job. It is so competitive, if you want to keep your job you better do it better than others and put up with what others won’t. Chen is not worried about looking for another job when he gets back. He said the turn over rate is high and people are constantly coming and going.

At the end of the trail I came across Chen again he told me that he and Y3 did the trail in a little over 3 hours. I took 5 hours. He walked me to where Y3 was staying so that I would have housing for my stay here in the beautiful valley. We also met up with his Sichuan friends, a couple named Yen.