Mr. Chive

I left Zhong Dian a.k.a. Shangrila of Yunnan Sunday. On the ride to De Ching, I sat in the back row of the bus. To the left of my seat was a seat empty next to the window. To the right of me was an very nice elder gentleman who smelled like he bathed in fresh chives, washed all his clothes in chives, slept in a bed made of chives, and wore fresh chives fragrance. He did,........ wow, it was such an extravagance for the senses. What a way to torture someone.

I offered everyone candy and this man who had a strong accent from oozing from every part of him offered me salted eggs and peanuts all of which were home made. I ate the peanuts. Then he began to smoke, I put all my gears on, suited myself up in warmth and opened the window wide. Let's just call him Mr. Chive, noticed I was fully covered except for my nose and was breathing out the window, he finally took notice that I couldn't handle smoking and kindly chucked the cigarette out the window. That was nice of him but it was a nice 5-6 hour ride and the rest of the buds he lit he offered to others to join him to light too. I continued with my full coverage window wide open operation. He would always get really cold and then put out the bud at the end.

The funny thing was, people who smoked, I've noticed in China don't really smoke it. They would light it, take maybe two puffs and then just let it burn the rest of the way. It’s so odd to me. It seems like such a waste.