Gyangze and the Pelche Monastery










Then we went to Gyangze one of the six Tibetan communities in Tibet aside from Lhasa. We passed by Tibetan farms where the yak roamed and lived liken to a dog at each house, except these yaks plow the field. The houses and fences were built on yak pies. Corn was hung to dry from the roof. It was all very neat to see. I think these images are western images of Tibet and not the modern tourist convenient Lhasa.

We went to visit a monastery called Pelche. I don’t believe I’ve got the proper spelling on this. There is the Chinese spelling and the Tibetan spelling on the names of places and things here. In Pelche monastery, I walked around. There were 77 alters, or halls. I honestly got sick of them. They were repetitive. I enjoyed the images of 8 great Bodhisattvas the most. I went up the Stupa that was round and each level was designed in rings and within rings, each had halls and stairs that led to up or down. But 1st floor entrance to 2nd didn't mean it led to the 3rd. So I lost track of what stair was in what floor and in what hall and got lost on the way down and ended up doing things twice or more. I kind of got dizzy afterwards too. I really felt like I could not see another monastery after this. Nate was so Tibetan monasteried out that he went shopping outside the monastery and took photos.

My insights after this monastery was,… boy am I glad Ven. Hsuan Hua set up things so our monks and nun don't have to sit at the door and collect tickets or sit at the alter and sell trinkets for a living. Glad the system works and the community is well supported. In fact, I think we've got it well and anyone who's got nothing better to do than fight should try to check out other conditions around the world.