Professional Laundry Service in China

The weather here in Lhasa would take days for my laundry to dry so yesterday I went for professional service. I turned in my laundry one of two sets I brought, the other one was on my body.

I went to pick up my laundry and for a long time they couldn't find my clothes. I was not going to be happy about this I thought to myself. I only brought two sets of clothes and that was one of them. One of the shirts is not replaceable here because it has special pocket with a special zipper for my special cannot loose items that I wear on my body at all times even to bed. It took four people including myself in this tinny little laundry place to locate my stuff.

The laundry system in Lhasa goes like this. I was charged by number of items and the kinds of items. I hand them money and they hand me a slip of paper. My clothes are tracked by numbers sown onto my articles because it all goes into one big pile along with everyone else’s clothes into one big washer and dryer.

Some places refuses to take socks and underwear. Some places charge by weighing your clothes. Most common practice when picking up your laundry at promised time and date is, “Oh it’s not ready, can you come back later, how about tomorrow.”