Crescent Moon Spring and Ming Sha Shan




The driver complained I took too long in the caves that most people are out of there in 40 minutes. I negotiated going to Crescent Spring since there still plenty of time till my train ride. He wanted more money and I agreed since I didn’t commit to going to the spring when I first negotiated in the morning. The Spring itself was nothing to show for since it dried up years ago and due to tourism it is now man made maintained with added water. In fact the spring was very disappointing. I was invited to sit on a camel for through the sand but I really didn’t want to.

It was hot. I decided to climb the sand dunes of Ming Sha Shan. There were hustler who had a booth to collect money to ride a board down the dunes but instead they just took money from everyone who wanted to climb the dunes. I knew it was a scam of 10 yuan but paid for it anyways. I ended up giving it to a boy who wanted to trail down the dunes but his mother didn’t want to pay for it. While I climbed up the hot sandy hill, I gave myself till 4pm to turn around and head down. It was interesting because I felt like I was doing chan meditation, checking my clock every 6 minutes. I sat on the hot sand and watched ridge lines on the dunes and realized how much I enjoy the silent peace in the sand and all the beautiful line patterns made by the wind on the sand.A


fterwards, my very nice and helpful driver insisted that I have to see the down town and eat local food but it was too early for the great cooks to come out. It’s a hot and happening night market full of delicious local food but the stalls were all in preparation mode. I ordered hand pulled noodles but it wasn’t very well done and the driver could tell I didn’t like it and told me I didn’t have to eat it. So I didn’t and we left. I was dropped off at the train station and the driver told me to walk straight in without stop until I got inside to the train line. These were his last instructions to keep me safe when we parted.