Potola Palace














I went to Potola Palace and I saw many Tibetan pilgrims bowing outside the Palace right next to the sidewalk on the road. This is to prevent interruption of foot traffic on the sidewalks but how about the on coming vehicles zooming by the pilgrims? I stood there watching them bow and was moved to tears. I wondered who and what are they bowing to. Whatever it was, they looked very sincere.

I was instructed to show up half and hour early before my designated time. I did and I found out why. Because you have to climb slowly up many steep steps on zig zag style till you get up to the door from the gate. Within the Palace there are more steps and stairs made for one person at a time. This makes sense to have entry number control. So I was able to appreciate how they've limited the ticketing. There really isn't room for lots of people at once. All the walk ways are for one person at a time.

This place is a palace. It if filled with gold, silver, and multi colors including black. I like the fact that there things are dusty and nothing has been repainted inside. There beautiful colorful murals on the walls. I had first imagined it would be too much, too ornate for me. But somehow it all felt really cozy and just fine. I think the Potola Palace is decked out grander than the Forbidden City of Beijing. At least it hasn't been destroyed and then re-created.

There are people mopping the floor all the time. So the floor is smooth and clean. It's weird but it feels really empty and abandoned in the palace. It's as if The Dalai Lama is already dead but he is still alive. The current Dalai Lama's room where he studied and practiced while he lived here in his youth had the best energy. I heard only his teacher and personal attendant had access to this study room that is right outside of his bedroom. It was very much alive and active there. I decided to make an offering, in respect to his practice. His personal room is not open to the public. Everything is blocked off with guard rails so I had to stick my neck out long to see things.

Tibetan Pilgrims pick up money that as been offered on one alter and then re-offer them at other alters. It was interesting for me to watch. They don't have money to offer so they recycle the offering. Is it so important to offer money? I'm not quite sure why, but I found myself feeling very emotional in the Palace and facing the courtyard I cried and cried..

It was very interesting feeling hard to describe to be in this palace where many Dalai Lamas have been. They dedicated their lives to this work of benefiting others. I reminded myself to not let this life go to waste. Don’t waste any bit of it. Help and benefit everyone somehow. I don’t need to be a religious leader like the Dalai Lama or a President of country to do this. I can do my part by creating harmony and peace wherever I go and transforming habits that result in harm on others.