Fan Ying Dong


For the rest of the day I followed the crowd like a common Chinese pilgrim from temple to temple. It was fun actually to scurry about like everyone else from bowing cushion to another.

I heard a story of a man talking to another man. One young man said to an older man, “I took refuge and then everything in my life got smoother. I am a true believer so I came to burn incense and bow.” I saw in the older man considering this was a good idea, something for him to do also.

When I returned to Putuo Shan I decided to take the shuttle up to “Fan Ying Dong” the Image Cave. I first heard of this cave from Rev. Heng Sure’s stories of visiting this cave with his teacher Ven. Hsuan Hua and a bus load of delegation. Before the start of the trip, Ven. Hsuan Hua told everyone to be on the trip they each had to memorize the “Universal Door’ Chapter” on Guan Yin Bodhisattva. When most people have paid their respects, Rev. Heng Sure was left with ManiPing the last two of the group to take their bows. Ven. Hsuan Hua reminded him that he had memorized the “Universal Door Chapter”. So while kneeling down, Rev. Heng Sure recited the “Universal Door Chapter” and ManiPing recited her name. Then he heard her say, “Oh you are just what I’ve always imagined you would be, a sweet, kind, gentle, nurturing, female Bodhisattva.” Upon hearing this Rev. Heng Sure opened his eyes and looked up, what he saw was a big, strong, tough ,male, looking very much like a General of an army speaking to him sternly. “Hm! Quit mess’n around!” He said he quivered. What he saw was not what ManiPing saw yet they were both Guan Yin Bodhisattvas speaking dharma to each of them according to what they both needed at the moment. This cave if famous for sightings of Guan Yin Bodhisatta.

As I hurried like everyone else to this famous cave and stuck my neck out like everyone else looking here, looking there. All I saw was a cave. It was fun, just to try. It was something I have always wanted to do ever since I heard the story.

Then I went on a long walk all the way down to the beach. It was very nice. I enjoyed the sounds of the waves. I enjoyed the trees I saw and all the natural beauty. I thought to myself, I could get used to living on this island.