Driven By Raiders of the Night

When we exited the plane both Linda and I withdrew money at the ATM. While exiting the customs, I noticed right away that it was not possible to stay at the airport and camp out till the morning if I arrived in the evening. There were illegal taxi sharks swamping and patroling the whole place.

Linda and I stayed together and found strength in unity. We stayed focused and walked straight to the prepaid taxi where there is taxi police just to be on the safe side. We had to make sure we were both very careful to not let anyone other than our chosen driver to know where we were going. Everything had to be done in need to know basis. This way no one can follow us.

Linda had the dirver drop us off a bit ffurther away from where we were going so we can walk on Janpath Road. This was partly because we over shot the sight and told the driver to stop a bit too late. Then it was also good that the driver did not know where we were going exactly. We retrieved our steps and headed into a travel center where everyone was closed and it was dark and quiet. We kept walking and in the corner way in the back, there was light and people in it. If we had not gone all the way we would have missed this shop. We arrived as the Himachal Bus was roling off at 5:30pm. One of the worker had to run and chase after the bus to stop the bus for us. We paid for our ride and ran after the bus ourselves all in quick time. We were on the bus by 5:35pm.

The bus was surprisinely quiet comfy. Alan from England sat behind us. He had just finished 10 days of silent Vipassana meditation retreat and was still adjusting to being out in the city and in communication. He was in a bit of shock when he arrivedin Dehli.

The bus stopped in other stops to pick up people. One of which was the Tibetan Refuge Center. A family of Tibetans showed up. One was a monk and he looked like a younger version of the two elder men in front of him, whom I assum was family. This group of people were all very nice and offered banana to me.

During this stop the driver informed me that I can use the toilet here. I was happy since there was no toilet on the bus. I kept asking him where exactly the toilet was and he pointed to a bush not too far away from the headlights of the bus. Well, to be in the light is to be seen by everyone. To be in the dark means walking on whatever that was left behind by others. It was a challenging task. I found a spot surrounded by bushes with the bus on one side and the road on the other. It was a good call to find a spot because the next stop was at 9pm for dinner and 2:30am for chai.

We stopped at an official bus stop for dinner. There were table and chairs at this rest stop. My dinner was partly cold and I prayed tha I would not get sick from it. Linda and I decided to move to the back of the bus for more room since the bus was not evenn half full. The driver came to check to make sure we were all on the bus before rolling off. That was nice.

As I sat and recited to get ready for bed, I pondered on this whole encounter with Linda. Was it all random? Was it all part of the greater plan? Here I was just less than 10 hours ago by myself, without a ticket to Dehli. Then I made it on to the plane but someone sat in my seat that was next to Linda. Managed to connect with Linda and converse with her anyway and somehow both agreed to go to Dharmsala on the spot. Almost missed our travel agency office and almost missed the bus in Dehli. It's like a movie script, it's like a dream, I wondered if I was the artist writing or dreaming would I have come up with this all on my own. What else is in store for both of us for the next two weeks of travel together.

In order to lay down, I had to stick my feet at the window for a fetal curl position. I also used it for anchoring the rest of my body since there were no seat belts. It made my feet very cold. I wondered if I would get frost bit from this. I prayed I wouldn't. The rest of the ride was bumpy and the bus was going fast. It is best to ride the bus in the evening and not look out the window down the steep mountain cliff. This kind of driving skill belong to the raiders of the night. I decided to trust my life in these people's hands. It's too late now, there is no turning back or getting off. Since this was my first experience, I did not think of having my sleeping bag with me or anything warm for cover. I was cold the whole night. It was one bumpy ride. I was flying all over the bus. I could not sleep because I was so cold. I could not sleep because I was could not stay in my seat. I could not sleep because I was in so much pain from all the bumps I got on the ride. It's reallly more like a roller coaster ride without a seat belt.

When the bus stopped for Chai, I wanted something hot but without milk in it. But it was all they were serving. My feet were cold like they have been in refridg. So I had chai to warm up and prayed to not get sick. The man charged me 10R for the 5R chai. I didn't argue. I was cold, I was tired, it just wasn't worth it. Linda and I decided to look for a bush, it was a good thing we did because right after we were done, another bus came and there were crowds all looking for a bush.