Adopted


When I entered the plane I learned the reason for the delay. There was an elder Chinese Grandpa who was on stretchers and had an IV attached etc.. The airline had to reconfigure 6 to 8 seats after the passengers got off to accommodate for the situation. I wasn't upset over the delay. The man had super enlarged lower lip. It was the size of a quarter cut orange. He did not look well. A nurse accompanied the patient on the flight.

The airline stewards on Royal Nepal were all physically built, thin, fit, and strong. They were definitely not like Thai Air who were more like wall flowers.

I had a window seat and I caught a beautiful view of the Himalayian Mountain Ridges from the air during sunset. Wow that was magnificent! This view made the whole trip into Nepal totally worth it. If I saw nothing else in Nepal it was fine. I think I would fly into Nepal and sit by the window in the right side of the plane in the future. This was worth the airplane ticket. Like Tibet, the train ride in was worth the train ticket I paid for.

I got off the plane, got onto a shuttle to get to inside of the airport. On the way to customs I met Julie in the tunnel and chatted with her while we walked side by side. I asked her where she was staying and if she had any recommendations. She told me she was 19 years old and is an exchange student from US doing a field study in Kathmandu for 4 months. She decided to take me home with her to her host family and have them adopt me too. I thought to myself, this was why I had to get on this plane at this time to meet her. How interesting.

I went through immigration and paid $30 for the VISA photos and was sure glad I had US dollar on me because this airport did not have an ATM. I actually had photos taken for VISA before I left for the trip but I forgot to bring them.

On the way out the airport we were swamped with people who wanted our business. It was good that Juno spoke Nepalese and negotiated a metered taxi for 120 rupees. When we got off the driver demanded another 20 rupees. Juno argued with the driver and then finally handed him 15 extra rupees, of which he didn't take. I was very glad that she knew where she was going and what she was doing in the dark.

While waiting for her host family to return so we can get into the house, Julia also called Juno in Nepalese took me to the famous old Stupa down town also known by the locals as Buddha. At night the stars were out. The area was full of people some were circling the stupa. There were monks in masks to filter out pollution. This little town circle is a little Tibet. It is more Tibet than Tibet. There were people doing puja. The stupa is surrounded or encircled by restaurants and shops. A man asked if we wanted housing for 400 rupees per night. It was a lot in my opinion. We stopped at a bakery to pick up vegan cakes and pastries as hello gifts to the host family. I spent 160 rupees on a box of goodies. I didn't want to go empty handed.

We had to take a taxi to the house because there were public transportation strikes that evening. She negotiated 70 rupees for the ride.

We walked in the dark with our camping head lamps on. There are two friendly dogs at the house both who do not get enough attention and exercise. The house is white with three stories and a terrace. I was greeted by 2 women. The owner of the house does not have children, her name is Anar, meaning pomegranate. The visiting sister has three children a daughter Anuja who is 23 and two sons, Paros who is 12 and Suraj who is 21. They all took interest in me and we chatted. They made vegetarian instant noodles for us. Here they are called 'chow, chow'. Anuja crushed all the noodles so they were no longer in strands. It was mush instead.

Juno is also Buddhist vegetarian who is studying the Ningma school. She also wants to do an Indian trip. We are contemplating a trip to India together. But she is also a bit home sick and is thinking of not doing to India at all this time.

I learned the house schedule, people go to bed at 9pm and get up at 6:30am. That tea is brought to me at 8:30am in my room and all three meals are cooked and served to me. Anuja works in the house in trade for her family being able to stay here. Anar is not married, worked with Peace Corp in teaching foreigners Nepalese in this building until political unrest that resulted in Peace Corp pulling all projects and volunteers out of Nepal. She worked with Peace Corp for 16 years. She is from the scholar family line which means she is just one step below the highest in society which is the clergy. In spending her time wisely during the political unrest she went back to school.