French Balconies Tiled Walls


Since the cart I was on was near the engine, it was loud even with my ear plugs on. The air was full of smoke and ash from the engine for the entire twelve and half hours of train ride. Landed at the border at 6:30pm. I ended up grouping with a Irish, Swiss couple. Then a German mother daughter pair joined us and so when we exited the train there was 5 of us. Our goal was to make it through the border and find housing for the night.

I was glad to has US cash on me because there was no ATMs at this border. The Germans took a long time to write and rewrite her VISA application. I paid $36. for a VISA, if it was only a three day stay it would have been VISA free.

All five of us got into a mini van and paid 200BHT total. The little German girl had a hand held video game that she prized over. She played it only to attract attention, envy, jealousy. It was about joy over other's lacking or craving.

A watched the town from the rear of the mini van. This part of the town is a quiet place. People are low key. The buildings are Asian type modern architecture with French balcony decor and tile walls.

At one point eh driver made an illegal stop and turn at the light and there were 2 cops who pulled him over in casual clothes. The driver got out of the van, jolly and joked with them and then quietly with assertiveness shoved money into their hands and walked away. The secrete language of money.

The German mom and her 10 year old daughter insisted that they get dropped off first. She insisted that she knew where she was going and that the driver didn't. She made a big fuss and really upset the driver so much that he told all of us to get out of the vehicle before we arrived at our destination. The Germans insisted on being dropped off somewhere which I felt was far from the centralized area which means she will be doing a lot of walking in the dark with her daughter and all their luggage.

The couple and I got off the back packer section of the town, meaning where the tourists stay and also where there is a centralized section of housing and restaurants. Everything was full. We finally found a room with 3 beds for $9. and the couple was kind to let me room with them. We were so tired by the time we finally got to check in and it was way late into the night too. The room was simple and cheap and clean.

I went for a walk in the evening after checking in and met Becky. I gave her information on China and she did the same for me about Laos. After hearing her story, I decided that I would not stay in Laos even though I just crossed the border.