If I Only Had...


When I got off the train I asked about how to get to the airport. There were plenty of service people with information to offer and happy to help. It was nice. I took a train to Haratake and then a bus into the airport. The airport was 7 kil away. I was reminded that I could take the local bus but the traffic would be too long and I was advised to take the train.

On the train, a Thai lady was on her way to the Hospital at Haratake who had me follow her. She personally took me on as someone to take care of. This whole entire trip, I have come across more people who where effortless in showing kindness and generosity of hospitality. Every time someone shows me kindness, I would feel remorse, shame, and total regret for any other time I had been impatient to others.

In Haratake was a hospital and an art academy. So the train cart was full of art students and all their art gear. I think there is something very beautiful and simple about student life that I really enjoy.

Made it to the airport 9amish. I walked around to check out flights, airlines, and possible destinations. I was directed to a travel agent who would coordinate my ticket. She told me Indian Air and Royal Nepal are all full for the rest of the year and I would need to fly Thai Air. This is like the engine search in Thailand when you go on the net where all other airlines pretty much don't work but only Thai Air. Well, Thai Air is so much more expensive and she was willing to drop ten dollars only. but really I didn't trust her. I heard that most people even Indians don't want to fly Air India so I was skeptical on either one of those airlines being sold out.

So being very tired from the train ride, I decided to just toss a coin on where I should go and what airline I should take. I went to the restroom to have a private enclosed space to think. I decided to walk some more and wait at the airline counter to get the scoop on actual factual status of seats availability. It was weird

I came across an elder Indian Sikh man named Kumar who is teaching in a business school in Bangkok. Kumar's wife and children will be moving in with him from India. He assured me of seats being available and he could not imagine the flight being sold out. He also tipped me on what to do when traveling in India. I am not to travel at night. If I land in the evening at Delhi I should sleep at the airport and wait till the morning and prepare to face the sharks and snakes. He also gave me a name to the Youth hostel in Delhi. I told him I'll be in India for a month and he was like "Why?" like why would you want to do that for? He also wanted to know why I wasn't married yet. Kumar reminded me that the Buddha was married, had a family and then focused on a spiritual life. I responded by saying that I probably couldn't travel and wonder about for months at a time without a return date like what I am doing now.

Kumar sat next to me until I was squared away with a ticket to somewhere and it ended up being Kathmandu, Nepal. It was the next available flight out of Bangkok and there were seats for me to purchase at a reasonable rate. During one of our conversations, I told Kumar about traveling in China, etc... then he mentioned he wold like to visit China and responded by saying people in general don't speak English. Then he slipped into, "well, if I only had a Chinese girlfriend who spoke both English and Chinese that would be convenient." I was shocked and disappointed by that line of proposition. I decided to just let it slip by as if I didn't hear that.

My ticket to Kathmandu via Royal Nepal was 10,000 BHT. I was very excited about going to Nepal. I had no information what so ever about Nepal. I will be landing in the evening and I have no idea where I would stay and where I would go etc...I was very excited about the unknown and how I would deal with the unresolved.