Tired


Anuja decided to take me out to a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery up on a hill called Naguwkot. There are lots of young monks less than 13 teen years old. They were playing with bottle caps and sacks. In this monastery they practice a vegetarian diet along with no onions, garlic, diary and eggs. I walked around the compound with her. We met up with her friends but there was no chemistry in the gathering and it was short lived. I bought Anuja tea and she treated me to popcorn and peanuts. It was a treat for her to have popcorn and peanuts. I also treated her freshly squeezed pomegranate juice. I was thirsty and I ran out of bottled water. I refuse to drink tap here.

The streets here are full of people and it's polluted. There are cars, people, and vendors everywhere you turn. I was glad I had a guide. I think I am a bit tired and it sure felt nice to not have to fend for myself right now. I just watched Anuja do everything in guiding me and I followed. I told myself that I would not be able to figure everything out on my own right now. It was all a bit overwhelming.

Buses passed by cramped with people. I stuck out as a foreigner even though people told me I could pass as a Nepalese. Well, in Tibet I looked Tibetan to Tibetans. In Thailand I looked Thai to the Thais. In China I looked Native Chinese to the locals. Well, and in India, ... I doubt it, shall have to see. Maybe I wrap a scarf around me really well.

Bought oranges on the way back to eat and to share. I also wanted to thank Paros for taking me around in the morning so I bought him his favorite, instant noodles and chips.

When I returned to my room I just sat in meditation. But it short, interrupted by the afternoon snack of curried fried rice. I took the snack and ate with Anar in the office. I then emailed my family on Anar's dial up internet service. It sure has been awhile since I came across dial up. Even in China, dial up is unheard of. It gets dark here at 4:33pm. I asked Anar when people are married here. She said 20-23 years old. Anar is single who majored in commerce and wants to do education and would like to get her masters degree. She has never had a boyfriend. She said it is bad reputation on a female to have had a boyfriend. Her parents had arranged marriage. Her father has three wives and they belong to the noble caste, considered high caste.

Anuja attempted to show me how to make Nepalese food. It was simple but there were language issues on naming the spice in English. She also taught me hoe to make Rotti. It was simple, add water to the flour. How much? There were no measurements. It's based on touch. It was this I got training on to feel for the moisture level and tension of the dough. Rotti is fried and chipatti is not but the dough is the same. I am still getting used to watching people slush their food around the plate with their fingers. I can't seem to eat and watch the same time.

Our conversations around the meal ended up being why I was still single. People wanted to know what was wrong with me and wondered who is going to love me when I grow old. I replied,"everybody! why not?!" I told stories of my parent's dating experiences and they told me about theirs. We had fun. I also asked about people's astrology here in Nepal and I learned I stumbled on a taboo topic in this house. It killed the conversations. Everything stopped for the night then and there.

This is an interesting house I am in with different family members living here, all blood but it isn't all chummy here. But people remain polite, and respectful. I am here just adjusting, just acclimating, just resting. I am pretty tired for all the bus, train, bus, train, plane ride out of Ko Phi Phi to Phuket to Laos back to Bangkok to Kathmandu. I am pretty much still working up the courage to go to India, I won't worry about it right now.