Good Samaritan


I woke up clear about how I would need to leave Laos right away. It all seems silly to run all this way just to go back. But I knew this was what I had to do even though I resisted it.

I didn't find any flight out of Laos. It's quite a small service and only flies to six cities world wide. So it occurred to me that I would have to fly out of Bangkok instead. Friday is the start date for the end of the year vacation for Thai. What it all adds down to is for me is to head to Bangkok airport as soon as I can and hope to beat the entire country by a few hours since I didn't have a ticket.

I parted with the couple who were on separate gift search missions for each other for Christmas. It was cute. Then I headed out for a meal at a local place. I talked to the chef and asked where I could go to take a bus to the border. He told me how to walk there etc.. I must have looked so confused on such simple directions along with a map he hand drew that he took pity on me and offered to give me a ride on his motorcycle. He is also Chinese and we spoke Mandarin together. I offered to pay him but he didn't accept so I bought a few bottles of water from him instead.

I got to take the public bus for 4KIT instead of 70 to 9- KIT on a tuk tuk. As he drove me I recalled the instructions he gave me and was I glad he drove to get me there to the central bus station. And then he hunted down the right bus for me and made sure there was a seat for me. That was very nice of him to take care of me. It would have taken me a long time to figure out where the local bus station was. It would have taken me long to figure out which bus to get on since there was no signs and people didn't speak English. I am sure there is a form of organization in this market/bus lot, but I think you would have to be a local here to figure out the system.


On the bus I sat next to a Thai girl who was heading to Nong Khai. She was happy to guide me in the universal language of smiles and hand gestures, suggesting that I get a cold soda with ice in a plastic bag and drink it out of a straw. All transactions were done out of the bus window between the bus and the vending stall. You just yell at the vendor and someone who is in between the bus and the vendor who is often a customer also will just be kind to lend a hand to complete the transaction without asking for any tips. It's very good Samaritan without a scene of crisis or tragedy to inspire the goodness.

At the border the shuttle that took us across to the train station was a truck with two benches on the back. I was packed in with a group of people from Philippines who had to cross the border to extend their work Visa to work in Thailand. This group was on their way to a bus station when they found out I was doing the same but by train and cheaper they decided to get off when I did at the train station.

I handed my very beloved snorkel gear to the man named Romeo as a gift. I decided I needed to do that to part with the itch of wanting to go to Maldives. I knew I didn't have to part with the gear to do that but I felt I would stare at it and feel bad that I am not going to Maldives. I find it difficult to find gear or things that fit me just right to begin with so to part with it was work for me.

I also cam across 2 Hunnan couples who has been in Bangkok for 6 months and also renewing their VISA. The man has been looking for work. I ended up translating for them and they were very happy.

At the station while waiting for me train to show up, I came across a group of nuns who were packing up a big box of alms bowls. I encouraged the Hunnan guy, and Romeo to help since he had the physical strength to do it and so also plant blessings in hopes that he can find work.

On the train the nuns were in the same cart and I helped them with their luggage too. Afterwards the nuns gave me a blessing by tying a band around my wrist. Then she handed me a few more and gestured to hand it out to those who helped them to get onto the train, so I went looking for Romeo and the Hunnan couple. This was new for all of them to experience a tying and a blessing of good wishes. I love to watch people receive goodness in sincerity. It is a truly special moment and difficult to describe.