Ditched by the Bus at Surantani


It was very windy and chilly this morning. While chanting on the beach I had to wrap a sarong to stay warm. Rony the umbrella, chair guy offered to keep me warm with his body. He also told me that when I return home, I should have a baby because that’s what a woman should do. I got weird and I left the beach soon after that.

I chilled on the hammock one last time and checked out to head out to Phuket. I got a ferry ticket for 300 BHT. It was a speed boat. Due to the high winds the speed boat tilted on one end so all the people had to be on one side of the boat to keep it from flipping or falling off the boat. It was quite dangerous but no one was having the boat slow down or anything. I had flashes of fears in drowning.

I was glad to be on land and got a shuttle ticket for 100 BHT to take me into Patong side. Well, I got dropped off somewhere and I didn’t know where I was because I had not been here before. I walked to look for a place to stay. I learned that all prices go up double by tomorrow. I checked out the beach and it was like being in LA or Miami. Plus the fair swim conditions were over for the season. So, I thought it over and realized that I got my swim and snorkel fix in Ko Phi Phi. This isn’t what I wanted. So I went to a internet café and searched for planes and modes of transportation.

At the internet café I saw the clerk with reptilian hand with human skin. It was weird. Stuff you hear about or see on some sci-fi show on TV. Wow. I ended up taking the local bus for 30 BHT to the long distance bus station. I could not believe that I was going to take the bus. I think my butts is just so tired of buses. At the station I came across two girls from Sichuan, China who was here for the weekend. They took the medium slow bus to Phuket and was robbed one bus while they slept. One of them felt an arm underneath their legs where their purses were. They like many tourists were dropped off at Surantani and not at their destination and was told to take another transportation to wherever they needed to go. At Surantani they saw the driver hand the local Police cash. They went to the police and made a big fuss. The girls reported that they saw the Police in on this act and they demanded to be sent back to Bangkok and straight to the Embassy where their friend works etc…. Finally they police gave them their money back and delivered them to Phuket.

On the bus I sat next to a beautiful Thai girl who took care of me. I followed here whenever the bus stopped. I just stuck by her side. We stopped at a central station and all meals were included at this one stand with your bus ticket. You sit down and porridge would show up on the table along with four stir-fry dishes. I ate as she ate at the speed and quantity she ate. To ensure I did not miss my bus, I stuck by her. Not knowing the language I didn’t not have information on time etc… I couldn’t figure out which bus was ours as there were no signs and the lot was full of buses. Being totally run down in fear of getting robbed by the two Sichuan girls, I ended up reciting mantras most of the way on the bus for extra insurance.

As I sat on the bus, I kept thinking how I’d be in Bangkok by now and have already enjoyed a lovely shower blah, blah, blah. That I could have stayed in Phuket for the night and be comfortable blah, blah, blah…