Did He or Didn't He?

With plenty of time on the bus to work on, Li Wei told me many stories from India. He said at least one foreigner is discovered in mysterious death or missing in India each week. A japanese 21 year old man who was a foreing exchange student was missing. He went on a trip with a tour group. People from the tour group saw him check out at the hotel during check out time but he never showed up at the meeting spot after that. And when people went to track him down, his hotel room door was found open with his things laid out. The seach went on for 2 months. The hotel insisted that he didn't check out.

When ever I hear stories like this, I count my blessings and all those who have been watching over me. Anything can go wrong traveling by myself, much the less traveling in an official tour group staying at a legitimate hotel.